Enquiry Type: (You can select multiple options)

Preferred time to ring:

We will contact you straight away and never sell your details to a 3rd party.

Ask the Accountant

I have been out of the UK for around 12 years and therefore not contributing to the state pension. Can I pay back those years contributions? #AskTheAccountant


You can make backdated Voluntary NI contributions to get your history up to date although there are certain restrictions and time limits.

Topping up gaps in your pension


Only downside is that you have to pay the current rates even for the earliest years so it is a bit more expensive than it would have been at the time.

The following web address gives a lot of information: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/why-pay-voluntary-contributions 

Whether you meet certain criteria will be down to your individual situation but this will give you a pretty good idea of how many years you can make up.


Accountancy Expertise – here to answer your questions to help you run a successful business.

We’ll be posting frequently asked questions and answers. Can’t find the answer to a question you’re looking for? Get in touch via twitter @CarringtonAcc using the hashtag #AskTheAccountant or email contact@carringtonaccountancy.com and one of our expert accountants will be happy to help. #AskTheAccountant