It's that time of year again! We have recently been informed of a scam where apparent HMRC staff or debt collectors are ringing and demanding money to be paid immediately - We've outlined the steps to take.
This can be pretty scary stuff. They are very insistent, may call numerous times and sound very believable. You might be threatened with an arrest, a prison sentence or having your possessions taken and sold if they do not receive payment.
If you receive a call like this and are suspicious, please do the following;
- Ask them to confirm the UTR – but DO NOT tell them if they ask you for your UTR.
- Tell them that you have an agent that deals with your tax and that you will contact them immediately to discuss things.
- Do not be tempted to engage in conversation – put the phone down.
- Get in touch with Carrington immediately afterwards.
- Definitely do not be tempted to make any payments before checking with Carrington.
- Do not give them any personal details whatsoever.
If you have any further queries, please get in touch. Call us on 020 3713 4530 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org